Dr. Ana Maria Carvalho is an Associate Professor of Portuguese and Spanish. She completed her PhD in Hispanic Linguistics at the University of California at Berkeley in 1998, with a specialization in sociolinguistics. She teaches language and linguistics and directs the Portuguese Language Program. She is also a member of the faculty of the Latin American Studies (LAS) and the Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Program (SLAT). Her research interests include language variation and change, bilingualism, language contact, language attitude, and dialect and language acquisition. She is currently studying the contact between Spanish and Portuguese from two perspectives: first, the output of the contact of these two languages in Northern Uruguay, and its relation to the social context where this contact takes place; second, the acquisiton of Portuguese by Spanish speakers in the language instruction context, and the challenges that the typological similarity of these languages present to the use of traditional teaching methods. When not working she is enjoying family life, yoga, fiction, and cooking.
Ph.D., Portuguese linguistics, Spanish Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, University of California, Berkeley, 1998
- Portuguese linguistics
- Spanish linguistics
- Portuguese/Spanish contact
- Language variation
- Second language acquisition
- SPAN 580: Spanish in Contact
- SPAN 580: Variation in Spanish
- SPAN 599: Language Atittudes
- SPAN 580: Hispanic Sociolinguistics
- PORT 440/540: Portuguese Phonetics and Phonology
- PORT 452/552: Introduction to Portuguese Linguistics
- SPAN 458: Introduction to Hispanic Sociolinguistics
- PORT 305: Portuguese for Spanish Speakers
- PORT 425: Portuguese Advanced Grammar and Composition
- PORT 102: Introduction to Portuguese-2nd semester
- Chapter: Code-switching: From theoretical to pedagogical considerations. Submitted.
- Article: The role of language ideologies in the perception of mixed codes.
- Data analysis: Subject Pronoun Expression in Portuguese.
- Data analysis: Portuguese-Spanish code-switching.