UA CENTER FOR LATIN AMERICAN STUDIES
Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships
For Academic Year 2014*
The FLAS Fellowship is sponsored by the U.S. Department of Education under Title VI and is contingent on federal grant funding.*
Fellowships cover the cost of tuition plus a living stipend:
Academic Year FLAS Stipend: $15,000
UA Tuition: (up to) $25,000
Eligible languages for the FLAS awards:
· Maya Kaqchikel
The UA Center for Latin American Studies seeks to support graduate students whose academic program and/or career objectives focus on Latin America and who can demonstrate the value of language training to their studies and/or career.
Candidates from all departments and professional schools are encouraged to apply.
· Complete 1 foreign language and 1 Latin American Studies 3 unit course each semester for the 2014-2015 academic year, in conjunction with their other graduate coursework.
· Be enrolled in a graduate department or school at the University of Arizona that combines modern foreign language training with area studies or with the international aspects of professional or other fields of study.
· Be a US citizen or permanent resident.
· Graduate students should be engaged in an instructional program with stated performance goals for functional foreign language use, in combination with area studies, international studies, or the international professional studies program.
· Complete the FLAS online evaluation report at the end of the fellowship period and every two years for the next eight years.
For more information contact Colin Deeds, firstname.lastname@example.org or 626-7242
Applications are available to download at
SUBMISSION DEADLINE for ALL materials: Tuesday, April 15, 2014 by 4:00 pm
Harvill Building, Room 343
*The UA Center for Latin American Studies is currently finishing the 2010-2013 FLAS grant cycle, and is in the process of applying for FLAS funds for the 2014-2017 cycle. Any internal funding decisions made are CONTINGENT upon LAS being awarded the grant. LAS will notify students of PROVISIONAL awards by the end of April 2014, but will not have final confirmation of funding until August 2014.